One of its main commercial application is Web Usability. It is very useful in designing the web user interface.
This video by Joe Leech gives a high level overview on how Eye-Tracking helps in creating a great user interface. Joe highlights the following benefits of eye tracking
- The developer sees what the user sees
- It makes design decisions easier
- It helps in designing the User Interface fundamentals
- It helps in evaluation the effectiveness of what user reads on a page
- It is a great way to engage the project team
There is already lot of research done on interpreting Eye-Tracking results to maximize hits. This 5 part series explain the intricacies of understanding Eye-Tracking results.
Why does Eye-Tracking work?
- Eyes are hardwired into your brain and the eyes cannot lie.
- Eyes can’t be “put down” like a mouse between clicks.
- Eyes + clicks + subjective questions give a comprehensive view into the user experience.
So have you used Eye-Tracking in any of your web designing projects?